My blog, FrankHaney.Biz, celebrated it’s 1st birthday last month.
To celebrate, I wanted to write a blog post that focused on two areas:
1. Recap of year #1 as well as a preview of year #2. We have some exciting things coming-up in the near future!
2. CALL TO ACTION: PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON FRANKHANEY.BIZ.
Please note: In addition to my usual readers, I emailed this post to some clients, friends, and people in my network to ask for their feedback. If you don’t want to receive my blog posts via email, then just let me know – no sweat! A lot of people have already signed-up to receive posts via email; however, others prefer to access it via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, RSS Feed or by going to www.FrankHaney.Biz directly.
Why Would An Insurance Agent Start A Blog?
- To add value to the people I serve: clients, prospective clients, community connections, friends, co-workers, other professionals inside and outside of the insurance industry.
- To share thoughts, ideas, and lessons learned on insurance, social media, and business development.
- To stand-out from the herd of insurance agents. They are everywhere – saying and doing the exact same things.
- A lot of people (see stats further down page) are using social media but only something like 1% actually blog and share content with others.
- Maybe I am crazy but sharing ideas (content marketing) vs. making a sales pitch just makes sense to me. It just feels like a better long-term appraoch.
Regarding blogging, I get the same two questions all the time:
1. Are people reading? Thankfully, yes!
- In the past 70 days, my blog has received 1,819 visitors and generated 7,604 page views. I had 89 visitors to my blog yesterday. That is a lot better than the initial days of my blog where I would get 10 views… three of which were family members. LOL!
- My blog has also driven people to connect with me on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter and vice versa – my social media platforms have driven people to check-out my blog as well.
- People I don’t even know are finding me via my blog.
2. Is it generating business? Thankfully, yes!
- The best part is I am also staying in-front of people who may not need me today but might tomorrow. In business, this is a difficult thing to do.
Why Blog About Insurance?
“Insurance is like a hospital gown – you never know what is covered!”
Like it or not, insurance matters! Although everyone has some form of insurance, it is often misunderstood and, as a result, avoided by consumers. This is true for both business and personal insurance. That simple fact can create problems and at the worst possible time = after something bad happens.
I also think people, and not just younger people, will be more inclined to read about insurance when it is presented to them in small bites and in a medium they like (via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, RSS Feed). Not everyone reads their 50-page insurance policy (even though they should); however, they may take 5 minutes and read a short article on a particular insurance topic.
Listed below are some of my favorite year #1 insurance-related blog posts from FrankHaney.Biz:
We will be rolling-out short insurance blog posts that have a YouTube video embedded in it to make our content more visually appealing. Disclaimer: I am borrowing this concept from an insurance in New York who has used social media to help people with their insurance as well as anyone in the country. His name is Ryan Hanley.
Also, I am also going to focus a fair number of my insurance-related blog posts on safety and prevention. As much as I like talking about insurance coverage, prevention is as important. Let’s face it – insurance is the one thing you buy that you don’t want to use!
Why Blog About Social Media?
- My readers tend to come from the business and professional community and have expertise in other areas; however, they are curious about social media and know they need to learn more about it.
- I believe that social media will become more and more “mainstream” over the next 10 years. In many cases, businesses are incorporating social media into their larger marketing and sales strategies.
I blog about social media because it is relevant. How do I know that? The numbers tell me so:
- In 2005, less than 1% of people 65 & up used social media. Today, that number is 33%.
- In 2005, 6% of people between 50-64 used social media. Today, that number is 51%.
- In 2005, 6% of people between 30-49 used social media. Today, that number is 70%.
- In 2005, 7% of people between 18-29 used social media. Today, that number is 83%.
Where will this be in another 5-7 years?
- Most of my readers are taking baby-steps into the scary world of social media. Although it is good to hear from the “experts” it is also good to hear how an average guy is attempting to create a social media program to build his business.
Listed below are a few of my favorite year #1 social media-related blog posts from FrankHaney.Biz:
Future social media posts will involve some of my “lessons learned” as well as shared content from other social media bloggers (will acknowledge the source). My readers are busy and don’t have time to surf the web for this stuff. However, if there was a collection of articles on social media in one place (FrankHaney.Biz as an example), people will quickly be able to access good information about this important topic.
Why Blog About Business Development?
- Does there ever come a time when you should stop trying to grow personally or professionally? No!
- Do you agree that success is the by-product of growth? Yes!
- Are you under more pressure than ever to produce better results? Yes!
I have found that my readers want a mix of topics….. they will read insurance blog posts but want other stuff too! Business development content just seems to fit.
Listed below are a few of my favorite year #1 business development-related blog posts from FrankHaney.Biz:
Future business development blog posts will be focused on two areas:
1. Sales development
2. Personal leadership
CALL TO ACTION:
1. I want to hear from you. What do you like about my blog? What do you not like? What do you want to see more? Less of?
2. I want to see if I can help you with your insurance. I love to connect with good people. Call me today for a 20-Minute Protection Review of your business and/or personal insurance….. or click-on the ”Get Quote” button on the main page of FrankHaney.Biz.
Thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing from you.
Questions? Call me at (815) 979-9121.
Relationship-focused insurance agent dedicated to protecting your business and family.
Agency: Williams-Manny, Inc. – located in Rockford, Illinois.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. There is no legal advice being suggested or offered. The author assumes no responsibility or liability for the actions take or not taken by the readers based upon the above-mention information